Six Ways Fish Oil Can Give You Better Health
There are several reasons why taking fish oil supplements is an important part of a healthy diet. Your brain, joints, muscles, heart, and skin all require the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil to function properly. If you do not consume enough omega-3 fats, your body is much more prone to degeneration and disease. Here are six ways fish oil can give you better health and longevity:
1. Fish Oil Reduces Disease-Causing Inflammation. Fish oil contains the omega-3s, EPA and DHA, which have been shown in numerous studies to reduce inflammation. When taken on a daily basis, fish oil can help lower the inflammatory response associated with conditions such as arthritis, asthma, and Type II diabetes. It can also help protect against the development of these and other diseases that often result from chronic inflammation.
2. Fish Oil Protects Against Cancer. EPA and DHA, the two most widely-researched components of fish oil, also appear to be powerful cancer fighters, according to a 2010 study published in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. Researchers found that women who regularly supplement with fish oil are 32 percent less likely to develop the most common forms of breast cancer. Another study published in the Lancet journal found DHA in fish oil effectively helps stop the development and spread of prostate cancer in men.
3. Fish Oil Slows the Aging Process. Chronic, systemic inflammation and the shortening of the ends of a person’s DNA chromosomes (telomeres), are the primary causes of rapid aging. Supplementing with fish oil can help protect the integrity of telomeres, which in turn can help slow the aging process. Researchers from Ohio State University recently found that healthy adults who supplemented with between 1.25 grams and 2.5 grams of fish oil every day for four months altered their fatty acid profiles so significantly that the telomeres in their white blood cells remained far more preserved than normal.
4. Fish Oil Reduces Joint Inflammation and Relieves Pain. Fish oil supplementation can increase the omega-3 content in joints. Increasing your intake of omega-3 fats while decreasing your omega-6 intake (found in most vegetable and seed oils) can reduce joint inflammation and cartilage destruction in people with and without arthritis. The EPA in fish oil also makes it an effective pain reliever. Pain relief is usually reported after taking dosages of at least 2,000mg of EPA and DHA combined.
5. Fish Oil Protects Against Heart Attacks. The heart benefits of fish oil are perhaps its most well known attributes. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to protect both the heart and cardiovascular system by reducing systemic inflammation which helps reduce heart disease.
6. Fish Oil Promotes Brain Health. EPA and especially DHA play a vital role in brain health because a significant portion of brain tissue is composed of these fats. Supplementing with fish oil can protect against and reverse a number of brain and cognitive abnormalities such as “brain fog,” depression, neurological disorders, and memory problems.
These six reasons are why fish oil is one of the 5 basic supplements everyone should be taking.